Sunday, July 24, 2011

The REAL DEAL-Hair Locking 101

Hey All....Just got back from Nappyfest 2011 in Columbia SC where I attended a seminar on Hair Locking 101 by Malaika-Tamu Cooper, Owner of Dreadz N Headz, Baltimore MD. That's her in the blue in the photo to the right.  Her locks are beautiful and all down her back. 

She's a Master Loctician and Sisterlock Consultant who travels worldwide to teach locking classes. The seminar was geared towards stylists interested in growing clientele by offering loc services. She shared a wealth of knowledge on how hair locks and the best ways to maintain healthly locs.

And here's what she shared on locking hair as it relates to Loc Extensions:
  1. Hair locks from the TIP to the ROOT...Not from the ROOT to the TIP!
  2. Loc Extensions can lock ....starting from the New Growth to the Root
  3. Do Not Use Conditioner...Conditioner's purpose is to detangle hair. Locs are created with TANGLED hair.
  4. Use natural oils to moisturize your scalp. Natural oils absorb into your scalp. It's food and nurishment
  5. Hair is Skin - Scalp is Skin
  6. The more locs you have...the more styling options you get
  7. Sisterlocs have the most styling options
  8. Partings are important
  9. Triangle or Diamond partings allow for the most locks on your head
  10. Loc Extensions are for those who are obsessed with length (this is TRUE! I am!)
  11. To color locs...use Henna or Textures and Tones hair color (No ammonia or peroxide)
  12. Listerine mouthwash can be used to cleanse the scalp (it's better than Seabreeze)
So what did I get out of this as I am entering my 4th month of locking thru my Loc Extensions?

4 Years Natural - Pre Loc Extensions Journey
Well....first...I'm reminded of my natural hair locking goals and the journey I signed up for...I wished to be locked for the rest of my life...however....true as it is...I am obsessed with length which led me to Loc EXTENSIONS.

So...if my natural hair which is in the loc extension is not actually gonna loc, according to Ms Cooper...and only the new growth to the root is gonna loc....I might be faced this situation down the road:
  • Will i have to remove the loc extensions in order to have fully locked hair...from the TIP to the ROOTS?
Well for now....I am enjoying my journey and once again...I LOVE MY HAIR! I am not about to ponder over this and this style is working for me ...time and time again. 

My Loc Extensions Install - April 2011
Unless I am ordered by the LAW...to take down my extensions....Im gonna live with them and they with me....for as long as we shall BOTH have each other...



PEACE..Jay

1 comment:

  1. Jay, your hair is beautiful! I too am obsessed with length and have gone through the teeny-tiny baby stage of locks and my impatience at the tween stage led my frustration to the mirror with scissors three times. Needles to say I'm a Aries woman who is short on patience and full of vanity. I need it now if not sooner, so waiting for years of growth isn't something I'm willing to do.
    Thank you so much for your blog with pretty pics to boot. You are fab at 50+ and I can only hope to be as stunning with mine. If you know a place in philadelphia where I can get sister locs please share.
    Peace to your journey.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Your Comments...Jay